Established in 1984, the Mauritian Wildlife Foundation (MWF), then known as the Mauritian Wildlife Appeal Fund, was created primarily to raise and administer funds for the conservation, protection and husbandry of the endangered species of the Mauritian wildlife.
The Foundation is a highly successful non-governmental organization and a Registered Charity working in close cooperation with the Mauritian Government’s National Parks & Conservation Service, and the Ministry of.
As an independent and non-profit making organization, the foundation entirely depends upon donations and grants to fund its projects and volunteering to help out with the workload.
Over the years the work of the Foundation has expanded considerably. In 1994, a Memorandum of Agreement was signed between the Mauritian Government and the Mauritian Wildlife Appeal Fund pointing out the objectives of the Foundation:
- To conserve and manage the indigenous flora and fauna of Mauritius and its territories.
- To raise and supply funds necessary for the conservation projects undertaken by the MWF and its associate organizations.
- To co-ordinate and administer these projects.
- To inform, educate and involve the Mauritian people in this vital work.
Today, the Mauritian Wildlife Foundation is working on a number of different conservation projects in addition to Ile aux Aigrettes. These include:
- The Mauritian Kestrel
- The Pink Pigeon
- Echo Parakeet
- Passerine projects: Mauritius Fody, Olive White Eye…
F- lora Restoration around Mauritius with National Parks in Conservation Management areas
- Round Island restoration (flora and fauna including endangered species)
- Rodrigues Restoration and Education Project
The Foundation, thus, operates 6 field stations; 2 endemic plant nurseries; the Captive Breeding Center, Gerald Durrell Endemic Wildlife Sanctuary; a visitor’s information center on Ile aux Aigrettes and a head office in Vacoas.
The Mauritian Wildlife Foundation is a registered charity No. 2134 and as thus relies entirely on grants and donations to finance its work. If you are interested in helping us please read more in ‘Support the MWF’.